Change Makers is a small grants scheme to enable staff of South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trusts to make a big impact through small new initiatives.
Maudsley Charity together with South London and Maudsley’s Listening into Action team has developed ‘Change Makers’ – a new small grants scheme to enable staff to make a big impact through small new initiatives.
The Charity has made £100,000 available each year through Change Makers and the scheme is open exclusively to Trust staff to apply for grants of between £200 and £2,000 to get small projects off the ground in wards and services to improve access, outcomes or experience of people with mental illness.
Projects should relate to one of the following areas:
- Improving patient well-being – this wouldn’t necessarily be about the treatment for their specific mental illness, but about improving the way people feel at any given moment.
- Improving lived experience leadership and working with communities – this could include working with a group of patients to support them to take part in an activity or volunteer, or it could be a project that provides leadership opportunities for people with lived experience.
- Funding staff support that improves care – this would be staff-related and have the ultimate aim to improve the experiences of people accessing SLaM services. Any projects under this funding area must benefit multiple teams and focus on staff wellbeing.
- Culturally relevant and appropriate caring – projects under this heading would focus on ways of encouraging and empowering people in their cultural identities, for example buying materials or planning activities for Black History Month or Pride Month.
- Trialling new activities – sometimes a staff member has a great idea for a small project that hasn’t been trialled before but has no way of making it happen. Our grants could be used to help trial this approach.
This programme is open exclusively to staff of South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
Applications open 3 times a year.
Detailed information and an application can be found here on MAUD, the South London and Maudsley intranet.
If you have any more questions about the scheme or how to apply, contact the Listening into Action team at LiALeads@slam.nhs.uk